East-West School of International Studies
Policy For Use of Cell Phones and Other Electronic Devices on School Property
Updated November 2021
The Chancellor has eliminated the previous ban on cell phones and other electronic devices in New York City schools. According to this regulation, each school maintains its own school-based policy regarding the use of electronic items that is consistent with the regulation. The East -West policy was developed in collaboration with the School Leadership Team and is below.
This policy applies to the following devices: Cell phones, laptops, tablets, iPads, headphones, speakers, portable music and entertainment systems, and other similar computing devices.
- Students are permitted to bring electronic devices to school.
- Students are not permitted to use electronic devices or turn them on except:
- During class, for a planned instructional activity, when directed by the teacher
- Students may not turn on electronic devices:
- During fire drills or other emergency preparedness drills
- During the administration of any quiz, test, or examination
- In locker rooms or bathrooms
- To record, photograph, and/or videotape students and/or staff, or any part of a lesson unless consent has been given by a staff member
- Students may not charge electronic devices during school hours (8:03 AM- 2:23PM)
- Students must follow all chaperone directives regarding the use of electronic devices during school trips
Students who use electronic devices in violation of the DOE’s Discipline Code, the school’s policy, and/or the DOE’s Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Policy will be subject to discipline in accordance with the guidance interventions and disciplinary responses set forth in the Discipline Code. Such disciplinary action may include, but is not limited to:
- confiscation of the item, to be returned in accordance with school policy
- meetings with student and parents/guardians,
- revocation of privilege to bring electronic devices to school
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THE EAST-WEST SCHOOL IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST, DAMAGED, OR STOLEN ELECTRONIC DEVICES THAT YOUR CHILD BRINGS TO SCHOOL, EVEN IF CONFISCATED.