DEADLINE: TURN IN COMPLETED APPLICATIONS BY MONDAY, MARCH 21 AT 4PM
Are you interested in journalism and working with computers? How about seeing your work published?
East-West is looking for a reliable and enthusiastic student intern to help us cover East-West news and events and provide content for the “Life at East-West” blog. This is a volunteer internship in online journalism and digital media. Gain valuable professional skills while helping more people know about the great things happening at East-West.
- One-on-one mentorship and training in news writing and reporting
- Impressive work experience for college applications
- Letter of recommendation for employers and colleges
- A portfolio of published writing samples
- Improve your writing and communication skills
- Receive service credit!
Read more for more information and to download an application.
- Report on East-West news and events for the “Life at East-West” blog
- Design, conduct, and publish interviews for the “People at East-West” column on the school blog
- Serve as a liaison for important student announcements and news, especially from Student Government
- Select 1-2 articles from East-West student publications to reprint on the blog
- Research, summarize and share interesting news stories for the “World News” column
- Assist with monthly Muster presentation on online EWSIS news
- Help publish photos and videos online
- Attend meetings with Ms. Cheng after-school. More information below.***
- After sufficient training, you will have the opportunity to design and maintain a column on the school blog to engage student discussion
This internship requires four in-office work hours per week. You and your supervisor will design a schedule together. This time will be spent meeting with your supervisor and working on your assignments.
It is likely that you will also have to work on your own time to complete your assignments. The work load will vary by week, but you will be expected to put in the time to complete and submit your work by the deadlines.
The ideal student intern
The ideal intern would be in the 10th or 11th grade and have a strong interest in writing and getting involved at school.
The most important qualities I am looking for are reliability and passion, not perfection. Please apply even if you are not sure you are the best writer, or if you would like to build confidence in your public speaking and communication skills.
- Fill out an application, available on the school blog and in room 429. Download here.
- Submit TWO writing samples: a graded essay and self-interview
- Deliver completed applications to Ms. Cheng in room 429
You will need to submit two writing samples:
- A graded academic essay
- A self-interview: Write an example blog post as if you had conducted an interview with yourself.
Design the questions and provide the answers. I am looking for creativity and professionalism. No less than 250 words.